Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Night: Yays & Boos

I love election night. When I was young, I'd excitedly pass out literature for whatever issue or candidate my parents were supporting - and that I therefore thought I supported - and at night, I'd wait patiently to see if all my hard work paid off.  Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't, but every election night I felt a little euphoria as I saw democracy come alive.

It's hard being overseas on election night.  Results couldn't even begin to be called for me until after 12:30am in the UK.  So last night I stayed up, waited until I called Ohio for Obama - and yes, I mean I because none of the networks were willing to do it then - and then I promptly went to sleep without knowing for sure who the next POTUS would be, but feeling comfortable it would be Obama.  As a result, I missed out on my opportunity to vocalize all my "yay" "boo" and "WTF" moments to my parents or siblings.  So here they are instead:

Yay #1 is obviously the fact that Obama won! I'm psyched about that, but it's not the thing I'm most psyched about (it is the thing I'm most relieved about because at some point I'd like to move home and be able to buy health care but because I have lady parts and I've now broken a leg, I no longer have my once super-squeaky clean bill of health and I'll have been "uninsured" in the US for several years).

Official portrait
And a 67% Yay because 67% of registered Ohioans voted!  That's before provisional ballots and overseas ballots are counted.  My ballot has not been counted, so I am not part of that 67% - yet!  Ohio allows absentee voters ten extra days past the election to get their ballots in so long as it's postmarked by the day of hte election.  I mailed mine via the US Embassy in London on 19 October.  It still hasn't tracked as "received" yet, so I'm still hoping it does arrive by 16 November so it can join the big pile of counted ballots.  I'm a little annoyed that it hasn't arrived yet and kind of wish I had just mailed it with the USPS but my postage was actually covered so long as it was mailed at the Embassy so I took the "cheap" way of mailing.  We'll see what happens.

I remember back when I was growing up and sometimes we were excited for 45-55% turnout.  67% in a downward economy when people are generally feeling gloomy - that's impressive. And important because democracy only functions when people participate.  My friends in Azerbaijan would love that opportunity: to participate; to count; to vote.  They cannot.  Well, technically they can but it doesn't really matter. Not when the system is so corrupt that someone sits in the open filling out ballots.  In 2009, my friends in Iran mourned the deaths of their fellow citizens, some were arrested or went into hiding, because they demanded their votes count. Instead, Ahmadinejad somehow won more votes in some areas than were counted. And a few weeks ago, I teared up as I read the status reports from friends in Georgia (the country, not the state) excitedly report the first democratic transition their country has had in a century.

Are US elections perfect? Absolutely not. There are moments we should be embarrassed by that get my patented Boo: voting machines that don't select the right candidate, ridiculously long lines that discourage voting, people being told the wrong information about where to vote, people who were told wrong information about when to vote, too many provisional ballots, apparent attempts at voter intimidation, and an asshat Secretary of State for Ohio who tried pretty much everything to discourage voting (great for the Vote Protector-in-Chief). The long list of voting irregularities need to be cleaned up, so if True the Vote and others are serious about protecting our elections, they should start by focusing on the problems that do exist, rather than the ones that don't.

But still... our votes are counted, at least most of the time. And once again, we will have a peaceful transition (or in this case, non-transition) of power. Just as we have every four years since 1780 except for 1860 and 1864, when South Carolina threw a hissy fit and seceded from the Union a little over a month after Lincoln won and then we were embroiled in the civil war that started.

Our votes count and the exciting thing is that younger people seem to finally be fully understanding that.  An estimated 19% of voter turn-out belonged to the 18-25 year olds; 16% to the 65+ crowd.  That's a massive difference from when I was first getting the right to vote. It is exciting. It is democratic. And it feels good.

And the women! Yay women! Not only did women rock the vote but they also rocked the vote-getting.  The US will now have more women serving in the Senate than ever before.  Of course, the Boo of it all is that we still only have 19 female Senators, so less than 1/5 of our more powerful and "stable" part of Congress. But the women we did elect: amazing!  Claire McCaskill would get massive yays! for no other reason than blowing off Legitimate Rapes Akin, but I also really like her as a person.  Wisconsin elected Tammy Baldwin, its first female Senator and the first openly gay Senate candidate (Barney Frank was openly gay but only admitted it after being elected). And Massachusetts finally caught up to its liberal rep when it chose consumer rights extraordinaire Elizabeth Warren as its first female Senator!  It's not just the Senate, though. Illinois elected super bad-ass, double-amputee Tammy Duckworth, the first female combat veteran to serve in the Senate. She's not the only disabled member of Congress, but according to the font of all knowledge she's the only disabled female representative.  And New Hampshire is now touting women in all its highest offices: Governor, both Congressional representatives and both Senators!

Now, I do have to ask WTF was up with the BBC last night?  It was like they couldn't find a Republican to save their life.  They had some random guy with a British accent on talking about American patriotism and predicting Romney would win two consecutive terms with more than 300 electoral votes even after Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin were called and when it looked like Ohio was going to Obama too.  It was weird and embarrassing and annoying to have to listen to someone who clearly can't call an election half as well as me get paid to do nothing but grandstand for the GOP.  And yet there wasn't a single Democratic operative while I was watching (which was for a long time!).  Every time that man talked I felt like someone was driving nails into my brain because that's the only explanation for the insanity I was hearing - and the only way I would end up losing the brain cells I felt myself losing every time they asked him a question.

I have two final boos and three final yays:

(1) Boo to the people of Paulding County, Ohio, for not realizing just how awesome my uncle Mike is.  He once told me he didn't understand half of what I said and disagreed with me on the other half, but was so proud of me for doing what I do.  And I have to say that I'm so proud of him for standing for office. He is a fantastic human being and I'm proud to call him family. Paulding County could have been proud to have him as a county councilman.  I love Paulding County, so I won't be booing them for very long. They are family for me out there, and so much of who I am is owed to my growing up in my great-grandma Kate's shadows. But, still, today I was sad to see they missed excellence when it was in front of them.

Ohio - from a federal government atlas via wikipedia
(2) Sadly, Ohio also did not vote for its statewide issue 2, which would have reformed how our US Congressional districts are drawn.  The amendment was long, the language complicated, and the idea not particularly the best, but we need to do something about the way our districts are drafted and accepted. Ohio voted for President Obama and Senator Sherrod Brown, but only 3 of our 14 Congressional seats will be Democrats.  That's not because we actually flip-flop that much. It's because our seats aren't drawn in a competitive way so it favors whichever party holds three key positions in the state at the turn of a decade.  This time it was the Republicans.  That's a pathetic way to draw Congressional districts and it's a shame on the Ohio legislature for allowing politics to get so out of hand that they view "similarities in needs" based on party affiliation and not the general makeup of the populations. Again, I don't think this was perfect but it would be nice to try something other than what we have, so I hope we get another option in 2 years. They get my strongest, most vehement boo today.

And three final yays: (1) My hometown school system may be squeaking out a levy win.  Ohio schools have been (state) unconstitutionally funded since something like 1994.  It's an asinine system that makes the schools go back and ask for property taxes pretty much every 2 or 3 years because the taxes they do get don't actually increase with cost of living or average wages or anything.  They just stay the same.  So they get outdated really quickly and they have to constantly ask voters for money just so they can pay their bills.  And instead of fixing the system, everyone just twiddles their thumbs and goes, "Yup... very difficult thing there, isn't it?  Complicated.  Very, very complicated."  So our public schools are regularly harmed while the state continually strips them of income to fund "charter schools," meaning private businesses, who largely have a worst track record than the public schools.  Why?  Because no one has the political will to do something that might mean they aren't elected to their next sought-after office (and since Ohio also has term limits on state offices, they're all always searching for their next office).

(2) That said, my friend Jim Butler was re-elected to the Ohio House of Representatives (the state legislature) and I'm happy even if he is a Republic.  I disagree with him on most things, but I love the kid to death.  And by kid, I obviously mean someone who is older than me (I think; I just checked his official bio and while it doesn't list a DOB, he completed the Navy and a Master's degree before I met him when I was just a wee little 24-year-old).  So yay Jim!  I can't wait for you to implement my school funding plans (that's a joke because he never really does what I tell him to...)

Sen. Brown's official potrait
(3) Final yay: Sherrod Brown. I heart him.  Now imagine that heart in the shape of the State of Ohio and you almost get to know how much I love him. I think he is an amazing and tireless public servant and exactly the person I'd like my parents to go to if I ever get kidnapped while doing aid work abroad (a serious consideration that anyone in aid or development work needs to make before they go in the field).

One more mini-yay: next time I go home there won't be any political ads on TV!  My family can have their lives and TV time back! And that's something every swing state is thankful for today.

[Edit: I didn't even realize Bill O'Neill, a friend of my brother's, won a seat on the Ohio Supreme Court!  Best part about this? O'Neill took absolutely no money in this election.  I doubt anyone else will attempt to replicate this, but I'm pleased he won!]

2 comments:

  1. How do you feel when you know that you vote was not counted and it will not change the scenario now? Why don’t the absentees vote earlier enough, so that those ballots are counted even before the Election Day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know it *could* change the scenario. It just won't. And that's okay. I'm okay if my vote doesn't count because it means more people supported my candidate and so my vote doesn't count simply because there were enough other people who agreed with me already. That's a pretty good thing.

    Absentee ballots that are returned before election day are counted on election day. Mine wasn't counted because it's still somewhere between the Embassy and the Board of Election. But I'm glad we get that extra 10 days to get it in. If you consider I "voted" by sticking it in the mail more than 2 weeks before the election and it STILL hasn't arrived...

    ReplyDelete