Friday, December 27, 2013

Praying for Peace: Iraq

Before I do the more humble work of setting up a prayerful situation, can I just take a moment to brag?

Because apparently my blog inspired Pope Francis.  What other explanation could there be for the fact that after I concentrated on Syria, South Sudan and the Holy Land ahead of Christmas, he mentioned those three countries / areas specifically in his Christmas day message (which is technically the Urbi et Orbi message, something I did not know before this year, so there's a little fun fact for you).

We rounded out our focus a little differently. I chose North Korea and he chose Nigeria, the DRC, and the Central African Republic, a place I will be focusing on next week because I feel like my relationship with Pope Francis should be reciprocal, after all. And the fact that there is a potential genocide kicking into high gear there. He also mentioned by name those suffering from the the typhoon in the Philippines.

But, ultimately, I think it's pretty clear the Pope is just following my lead.

So, I realize that this little, tiny blog did not actually inspire the Pope.  God does that.  But I think it's significant that the Pope continues to focus on Syria.  Yes, there's a 10% Christian population, but I don't think that's why the Pope focuses there. I think the Pope keeps coming back to Syria because God keeps asking us to come back to Syria.  To focus on Syria.  To pray for Syria.  But also to work for Syria.  So I want to quote the Pope now as we continue to pray:
"Let us continue to ask the Lord to spare the beloved Syrian people further suffering, and to enable the parties in conflict to put an end to all violence and guarantee access to humanitarian aid."
I also want to encourage those who are moved by Syria to donate money for humanitarian aid.  The UN's refugee agency, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Medicins Sans Frontieres / Doctors without Borders all can use monetary donations that will help fund their work reaching those in need both in and outside Syria, and those affected by the Syrian crisis or others crises - including those affected by conflicts in Nigeria, DRC, CAR, and Iraq (which I'll get to shortly).

With that, I want to use another Pope Francis quote (this must make my Jesuit PhD neighbour very happy as I think he's [semi-] secretly praying for me to become Catholic) --
"Let us never lose the courage of prayer!"
-- and transition to talking about Iraq, which will be my focus this week.

I have a confession: I often forget to pray for Iraq.  Okay, I do know that several of my friends just rolled their eyes, complaining that's not a real confession, but for a Christian American working in human rights, praying for Iraq is not something I should forget.

With all that has gone in other countries, though, the number of my friends present in Iraq has dwindled while the number affected by the Arab Spring or the ongoing conflicts in Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, and South Sudan has rise. Friends in the Philippines and Japan, Nepal and Myanmar have me regularly praying for the humanitarian and transitional crisis there. Thailand gets some significant attention in my mind as well - thanks to friends working on detention issues, refugee issues, women's rights, etc.

So, my mind just doesn't focus on Iraq as much as it should.

This has changed recently, though, as a friend is currently with UNHCR - the UN's refugee agency - in Iraq.  And that has made me pay attention to the news from there more.  News like this:


  • Thirty-five people were killed on Christmas day by bombings that targeted Christian areas. Another fifty were injured.  On a day in which the world celebrated the Prince of Peace - and I do mean the world as my Facebook feed was filled with Christmas wishes from people who are not Christians talking about how much they enjoy Christmas - al Qaeda apparently decided to actively work against peace. Al-Qaeda are increasingly active in Iraq and according to the NYT, the "[b]ombings on Christmas in Christian areas of Baghdad, which killed more than two dozen people, bore the hallmarks of a Qaeda operation."  Is it inappropriate to pray that al Qaeda remembers this verse from the Koran: 
  • "There is no compulsion in religion." - Al Baqara 2:256 (it's only a part of the verse, but even in the broader context, this meaning remains).  A letter from 36 Islamic scholars to Pope Beneidct XVI, made it clear that this verse "was a reminder to Muslims themselves, once they had attained power, that they could not force another's heart to believe." 
  • There's also this verse: "And if they incline to peace, do thou incline to it; and put they trust in God." - Al-Anfal 8:61.
  • There's also this verse for them: "Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion." - Al Kafirun: 109:6. Again, that's only a pat of the verse, but even in the broader context, this meaning remains. 
  • And again, "Let not hatred of any people seduce you into being unjust. Be just, that is nearer to piety." - Al Ma'idah 5:8
I'm clearly not a Muslim, but if you're going to work for a religious institution of power, shouldn't you work for one that remains faithful to, well, your faith?  [This applies to many "Christian" leaders in the US, too, [cough, cough].]
  • Three members of an opposition group were just killed. The group, made up of Iranian exiles, live in a former US military base - Camp Liberty - and were attacked by an Iranian-backed militia operating in Iraq. 
  • The US is sending more weaponry to Iraq to combat what is being called "the worst violence in years."  8,000 Iraqis have been killed.   


The situation in Iraq has never been good in my lifetime. In fact, the turmoil in Iraq goes back much further than my lifetime.  It is an area that has known colonialism, conflict, coups, and oppression.  It has not known peace - true peace.  As Frank [that's probably taking the joke a little too far for my Catholic family and friends] Pope Francis said:
True peace - we know this well - is not a balance of opposing forces. It is not a lovely “façade” which conceals conflicts and divisions. Peace calls for daily commitment . . ..
This is the kind of peace Iraq has not know.  At times, it has had the façade of peace - times in which there was no clear, active conflict, but where human rights violations were abundant.  They have known peace in which divisions were concealed not by placing nice but by might and brute force.

Iraq deserves better than this, and we are called to work for peace there. I want to note the totality of the Pope's statement on the art of making peace, as well as his invitation to those of the various faiths and non-believers to join together in spirit:
Peace calls for daily commitment, but making peace is an art, starting from God’s gift, from the grace which he has given us in Jesus Christ.
... 
And I am happy today too, that the followers of different religious confessions are joining us in our prayer for peace in Syria. Let us never lose the courage of prayer! The courage to say: Lord, grant your peace to Syria and to the whole world. And I also invite non-believers to desire peace with that yearning that makes the heart grow: all united, either by prayer or by desire. But all of us, for peace. 
So with that introduction to what is going on currently in Iraq, I want to pray.  As I've noted in previous posts, I will be praying as a Christian, but I hope that my non-Christian friends will join in in ways appropriate to their belief or non-belief.

Gracious Lord, We are called to be agents of your peace, and yet we so often fail.  Forgive us for our failings and help us to commit to serving your people and your vision here on Earth. 

Lord, we lift up the situation in Iraq to you, and we ask that you help us realize a true peace there. A peace that reflects the daily commitment of Iraqis - as well as those of us outside of Iraq - to live in harmony with one another, not ignoring or covering our differences, but working with them, working to understand them, and working through them to realize a respect, appreciation, honor and love for our neighbors in Iraq.

Lord, we lift up the victims of the recent spate of violence. The 8,000 Iraqis killed this year and their families.  The victims of the Christmas day bombings and their communities. Reveal yourself to them in their hour of need, comforting them and giving them a taste of your peace. Help them to overcome this time and to commit to ensuring that no one else suffers as they do.  Alleviate their pain, dear Father, Immanuel, our healer and comforter.

Lord, we lift up those engaged in humanitarian work in Iraq. Help them to do their work in safety and security. I specifically lift up A and her colleagues and ask that you bless their work on refugee issues. Give them strength, courage and wisdom as they work, and help them to alleviate suffering.

Lord, we ask that you change the hearts of those who would work to undermine peace.  Change the hearts of those who work against peace.  Help them to understand your calling for each of us on Earth - a calling that asks us to love our neighbors as ourselves. 

Grant wisdom to our political leaders - both in Iraq and outside of it. Help them to reach a path forward, help them to understand each other and to reconcile with one another, so that Iraq can join the other nations in saying "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors."  

Lord, let there be peace in Iraq. 

Lord, let there be peace in Iraq.

Lord, let there be peace in Iraq.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment